Enable Recite me Accessibility Tools:
Accessibility Options
To find out more, please see here.

Although no longer needing intensive treatment, you may still require further rehabilitation.

If this is the case, as part of your continuing care, you may be offered the opportunity to transfer to a Community Hospital, or to Ashford Hospital. These hospitals continue the expert care you need.

Click on the options below to find out more:

▶   Intermediate Care

There are also options for being looked after in your own home, by a team of Nurses, Therapists and specially trained Support Workers who can provide short-term specialist rehabilitation in your own home to help you to regain independence. This can be for a period of up to six weeks depending on your need. We call these services Intermediate Care.

▶   Social Services

If you have no current help, but feel you might need this when you return home, we can refer you to our Social Services Department. They will assess whether you are eligible (following a financial assessment) for Social Services Community Care (e.g. Homecare, Day Centres etc) and any specialist services. If you are not eligible they will give you information on private Homecare providers.

▶   What if I Cannot Manage at Home?

If it is agreed that you will not be able to manage at home, even with help, the Social Services Care Manager or Discharge Co-ordinator will advise about suitable residential and nursing homes.

A list containing a small number of suitable homes will be given to you and your relatives/carers who can visit them to decide which would suit you best. Having received the list, the hospital asks that you choose the most suitable home that has a vacancy and can accept you within 7-10 days.

▶   Transfer to Alternative Accommodation

After the decision has been made that you no longer require inpatient care It is not possible for you to remain in hospital for more than a short period. Therefore, until a place becomes available, you may wait in an alternative home whilst the one of your choice becomes available.

▶   Registered Nursing Continuing Care (RNCC)

If, upon discharge, you require nursing (rather than social care) you will be entitled to an assessment to determine the level of nursing care required. This will be carried out by an RNCC specialist nurse assessor who will visit you on the ward in order to determine the financial contribution from the NHS towards your care.

▶   Will I Have to Pay?

You do not have to pay for an assessment of your needs or for any advice and information given to you. All information is confidential.

You do not have to pay for health-based services such as District Nurses, Health Visitors or Intermediate Care Team.

If you require a Social Services package of care, you may have to make a financial contribution. You or your family will need to fill in a confidential form giving details of your financial position. This form will be given to you by the Social Services Department Advisory Officer, or a Discharge Co-ordinator. We ask you to complete this promptly. If you are able to fund your own care, whether at home or in a residential or nursing home, you may wish to make use of private agencies.

The Care Manager/Discharge Co-ordinator will give you details.

▶   What if I Want to Know More?

If you have concerns that you would like to discuss and are unable to talk to a Nurse on the ward, there are Discharge Co-ordinators available during normal working hours. The ward staff will be able to contact them for you.

Protecting Your Online Privacy
Protecting Your Online Privacy

This Ashford and St Peter's website uses cookies to track visitor numbers. Find out more in our Cookies Policy and Privacy Policy. You can also read our Accessibility Statement and Privacy Notice for your information.